Fridge Maintenance Tips And Ideas
When the power goes out, we get a striking reminder of how much we rely on our refrigerators. Our fridges represent one of the most important appliances in the kitchen. In fact, you could make a pretty good case that it is the most important appliance in the kitchen. Try to see how much you can do with the rest of your appliances, if you can’t use anything you would store in the fridge or freezer.
Taking care of your fridge is part of the general upkeep of your space. While you can’t deal with every problem on your own, there is still a lot you can do, in order to maintain peak efficiency with your fridge.
Tips For Fridge Maintenance
A good fridge can last for a pretty long time. With proper care, which can include knowing where to go for the best in Ottawa fridge maintenance, you can keep your fridge running for years to come. Here are a few easy things you can do, in order to get the most out of this crucial appliance:
- Keep an eye on your door seals: Loose seals on your doors can lead to cold air drifting out. This forces the fridge to work harder than it needs to. Obviously, this can wear down your refrigerator much faster than under normal circumstances. If your seals have food residue, clean them with a toothbrush and some baking soda/water mixture. Next, take a one-dollar bill, and slip it between the door. You should be left with half of the bill sticking out, with the other half sticking in. If the dollar bill slides out easily, then you may want to get a professional to take a look.
- Clean your condenser coils: This is something you should do twice a year. These coils are responsible for taking heat away from your fridges/freezers. These are the big, radiator-like coils that can be found under your fridge. Long-handled bristle brushes are great for getting rid of the dirt and dust, which can lead to increase energy usage, poor performance, diminished lifespan, and so on.
- Make sure you’re setting the right temperature: This is one we all seem to forget about, until our fridge starts working too hard, or stops working altogether. Your fridge should be set somewhere between 37-40 degrees F, while the freezer should be set to zero degrees.
- Keep it filled: Even if you eat out all the time, this is something that may surprise you with its importance. In order to work properly, fridges need to have what is known as thermal mass. The foods/beverages you keep in your fridge help to absorb the heat that comes in when you open the fridge door. This is how low temperatures are maintained. If you eat out a lot, relax. You can accomplish what you need in this arena by simply storing some bottles of water in the fridge.
- When the power goes out: This one is important. Obviously, when the power goes out, you want to open your fridge as infrequently as possible. Unless you are expecting to be without power for several hours, you should make it a point to avoid opening it at all.
If you are keeping in mind all of the above, and you still run into problems, don’t panic. Ottawa Appliance Repair can help with major problems, and we can also help with inspections. Anything to do with your fridge is within the range of our abilities. Call us anytime at